11.25.2011

down in a hole

Yesterday was Blackcomb's season opener.  I was riding more or less solo, greasing the line, and just trying to get as many runs in as possible.  The coverage is good, although it's still sharky. After a fairly successful morning, I decided to traverse out towards crystal and I ended on a mellow although a very shitty groomed run with pow on the side.  I milked the side of the run, came up onto a roll, that I knew was a bit of a rock garden. I assumed it was pillows over the edge.  I came to a stop, to have a look.
That was when I started sliding into the abyss. I slid on my back into a 3-4ft crack behind a cliff ( massive boulder) I landed on my feet, unscathed, ( bruised a bit).  At this point, a little stunned, I realized that I had fallen into 30-35 ft hole.  

I thought about climbing up the the way I fell down, which would have been very hard, and not possible with a snowboard.  I noticed some light, down towards my left so I crawled down , to investigate, and sure enough, it was a way out.  I actually laughed, because I was feeling pretty lucky at this point.  Anyways heads up out there.

4 comments:

  1. woah! thats nuts, its kinda like in the book "touching the void" when that guy fall into that crevasse and breaks his leg, he hangs out thinking he's gonna die for a long time but then finds a light source and follows it to a separate exit. whooooaaaaa!!! glad you had a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bottomless pow.

    you know how to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsucxjYnlTA

    Thanks Layne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Joe. And nice blog. Glad I finally stumbled onto it

    ReplyDelete